Re: Qt3 Questions

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:20:54AM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > I did re-read README.Debian and it explains why libqt3-dev and
> > libqt3-mt-dev conflicts.
> >
> > Still you haven't addressed my main concern, a clean upgrade path
> > between woody and sarge and your way of making changes without
> > contacting me as a Qt3 application maintainer.
>
> that's why the readme says contact us if you have questions. We can't jump on
> any Qt 3 app maintainer and tell him how to do his job.

To me it seems quite logical that a developer who maintains a package
which is is part of another package dependency chain informs respective
maintainer about major changes that they need to address. That's what
debian-devel-announce is for.

> The i18n stuff is only necessary for either developers or users who:
>
> - - use a language other than english
> - - use an app that includes the code to load the qm file for his language

Was these translations included with the Qt package in woody?

> The upgrade path is that the packages itself work and do upgrade. If you're  a
> package maintainer and your app doesn't compile you should use kdesdk and run
> fixincludes, make a diff and send it to the author of your program to fix the
> issues. Until then upload with a build dependency on libqt3-compat-headers.

IMO, a clean upgrade path should be provided not only for packages that
use the Qt3 library, but also for Qt3 developers.

May I ask why you want to force Qt developers not to use headers
provided by upstream? Am I wrong when I believe that these headers will
survive all Qt 3.x releases?

> libqt3-dev and libqt3-mt-dev have to be conflicting with each other because:
> a) it ensures that your app links against the desired libqt or libqt-mt. Some
> configure scripts fail at that and pick up the first one they find, though
> libqt-mt linking is to be preferred. Use libqt3-mt-dev if nothing prevents
> you from doing so

I think this is a bad argument ...

> b) Qt generates two header files that are specific to the configure arguments
> passed to Qt, qconfig.h and qmodules.h. Those differ in the two Qt builds
> (threaded and nonthreaded). To make sure everything is in sync those are
> packaged with the respective libqt3(-mt)-dev packages because a) has to be
> ensured anyway.

... though this one probably makes it impossible anyway.

--
Peter Mathiasson, peter at mathiasson dot nu, http://www.mathiasson.nu
GPG Fingerprint: A9A7 F8F6 9821 F415 B066 77F1 7FF5 C2E6 7BF2 F228