Re: [desktop] Don't forget XFCE4

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 19:04, debacle wrote:
> Hi desktop people,
>
> the page http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop/
> mentiones both GNOME and KDE, but there are other cool
> desktops as well.

I agree, there are other ones.  Lots of them actually; you could call
FVWM2 a desktop, for example.

>  My favourite is XFCE4, which is in sid.
> It is, like GNOME, based on GTK2, but it is much faster and
> smaller.  It has still to be integrated with the Debian menu
> system etc., but it could be the perfect choice for all
> people with limited hardware resources and/or patience.
> Please include XFCE4 in the list of Debian desktops.

I mentioned it on the web page.  The Debian Desktop web page isn't meant
to have an exhaustive list of desktop environments packaged for Debian;
rather, I think the goal should be, right now at least, to focus on
supporting and improving the smallest number of environments possible.
Currently that is GNOME and KDE.

Debian itself will always exist as a place where you can get every
alternative piece of free software out there.  The goal of Debian
Desktop is to maximize ease of use and functionality for the end user.
For example, if we had a choice between including some more GNOME or KDE
applications on the first CD, or including FVWM2 and XFCE, the Debian
Desktop choice should be the applications.