Re: Feature request for packages.d.o

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:52:11PM -0800, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	Would it not show you that there was an upgrade version if
> you had the security.d.o line in your /etc/apt/sources.list? If you are
> worried about having the latest security updates I would think having
> the line in your sources.list would be the first thing I would do. Then
> if apt-show-versions is checking the available packages the upgraded
> security version should be listed and state that it is upgradable...

I work in a highly secure environment where sizeable chunks of our
infrastructure can't go making HTTP connections out to the Internet at
large. In these situations, if I suspect a new package is available, I'd
like to be able to just visually inspect the version number that I have
installed and compare it against the version packages.d.o reports as
available. This doesn't scale terribly well, I realise. At the moment
though, packages.d.o doesn't factor in security updates, so (for example)
if libc6 has already had 2 security updates and a box has been kept up to
date, the installed version is going to look nothing like the version
originally shipped in stable.

Hope this makes sense.

Andrew