Re: Feature request for packages.d.o

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 04:38:05PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> I work in a highly secure environment where sizeable chunks of our
> infrastructure can't go making HTTP connections out to the Internet at
> large. In these situations, if I suspect a new package is available, I'd
> like to be able to just visually inspect the version number that I have
> installed and compare it against the version packages.d.o reports as
> available. This doesn't scale terribly well, I realise. At the moment
> though, packages.d.o doesn't factor in security updates, so (for example)
> if libc6 has already had 2 security updates and a box has been kept up to
> date, the installed version is going to look nothing like the version
> originally shipped in stable.

If you can look at packages.d.o, that machine is obviously allowed to
connect to the Internet at large.  If you can do a visual inspection, then
you obviously have access to the dpkg database from there as well.  So you
could run apt-show-versions (or similar) there instead of on the spooky
machines.

--
 - mdz