Re: debconf template translation

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 09:59:14PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:18:52PM +0100, Michael Piefel wrote:

> > The translator would have to look into the build process, create the
> > *.x files and so on. I doubt that anyone has ever done this and
> > approached the Debian maintainer or upstream with that.

> *This* is silly, translators only have to look at English man pages and
> see if they are differences, as with any other man page.

I think you're missing the point there.  The upstream developers don't
write manual pages by hand, they write manual pages by automatically
processing the runtime help text included in the program.  When manual
pages are generated using this system it is much more sensible for
translators to do the same thing.  If nothing else this will mean less
work for the translators - only one set of documentation will need
manual intervention.