Re: debconf template translation

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:18:52PM +0100, Michael Piefel wrote:
> Am  3.03.03 um 11:48:18 schrieb Mark Brown:
> > Looking at the list you've posted I'm surprised that the maintainers
> > have actually refused to take the translated manual pages - many of the
> > programs come from util-linux and coreutils both of which already ship
> > at least message files.  It seems surprising that maintainers who
> > already include l10n things in their packages would refuse to improve
> > this functionality further.  What were the reasons?
>
> That's probably a misconception.
>
> In the case of coreutils, the manpages are generated (from the help and
> version output, mainly). Translating these is silly, they will _quickly_
> get out of sync. The translator would have to look into the build
> process, create the *.x files and so on. I doubt that anyone has ever
> done this and approached the Debian maintainer or upstream with that.
>
> I don't know about manpages-fr, but I purged manpages-de because I found
> myself far too often using "man -L C ..." to get the up-to-date
> original.

Yes, I normal read only the english man pages. The translated man pages
are out of sync and outdated, use bad translations etc.

Somebody translate it some days ago, nobody review it and nobody search
new translators after changes in the English text. All this will avoid a
system like the DDTP. Because of this I make the DDTS!

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
Ein Prompt! Um Himmelswillen! Ein Prompt!! HILFEEEE!!!!