Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:12:40AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> [...] But while I want Debian to be an empowering operating system
> that grows with the user, I think any strategy that expects users to
> also be administrators is a losing one -- no matter how easy we make it
> to administer that system.

Who do you think should administer the systems used by random people
at home?

> [...] -- but I think the way to do that is by giving those
> doctors pre-configured systems, not by giving them a box of CDs [...]

This fails when it's time to do security updates, or an update of the
entire system; running "apt-get dist-upgrade" will quite happily ask you
lots of things that Joe User shouldn't need to know. For a doctor, this
is fine: they can hire a consultant to keep the system up to date. For
a home user, that doesn't seem as reasonable.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''