Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

Who are you kidding? Everything in Debian is not about developers. It's
about the users. You Develop FOR the users. If you have no one using your
software your software is useless.

This is one of the main reasons I'm leaving the Debian project (as are
several others I know as well). Developers have gotten this high and mighty
attitude like they're special and the users are beneath them. (No not all of
the developers are like this thank god, but there are enough that I
constantly field complaints about it in a certain IRC channel.)

Those of you that think your mighty programming skills make you a God, or
some such tripe.. Remember, if we the users don't USE your software, you're
only coding for yourself. That may be how you wish it in the end anyways,
but don't expect great things for Debian should this happen.

No, I don't believe that Debian is going to lose users in droves, I do
believe however, that debian is slowly dying due to it's seemlingly innate
desire to beleive the developer rules all rather than a natural balance of
power between userland and devel-land. Wake up guys, smell the coffee. WHY
do you think you constantly get emails about the supposedly elitist
attitude, the need for change and the desire to see Debian wake up and
change? And it's not just coming form newbies. It's coming from some pretty
respected people all over the industry, from all over the Linux (hate this
term but it works..) community.
People such as myself that have used linux since SLS Linux first hit the
streets so to speak.

People seriously, wake. up! You have a natural talent for coding, I agree.
However you are NOT a god. You are NOT even a minor deity. You're a guy or a
gal sitting in some chair somewhere dedicating your time to cleaning up
code, writing fresh code and developing an idea someone has, even if it's
your own. We the USERS are the ones providing the feed back, showing where
things need work and where we find that certain features or subsets of
features need tweaking, fixing, changing or adding. BOTH are required in
this symbiotic circle. And if you can't see that it IS symbiotic, let all
the suers walk away and see what you have left. A bunch of guys and gals
coding software for nobody but themselves. And there are not enough
developers to make that last for long either.

We need EACH OTHER. Simple. Face that fact. Get your face out' da soup and
into clean air. sheesh

--
David D.W. Downey - Shell & Web Server Admin
Aeternam Technologies - www.aeternamtech.com

Quote: The bug which you would fright me with, I seek.