Re: devlopment w/ Debian

"pico" <wnowak1@linkwall.com>  wrote:
> I'm a student at studying computer science at a university.  Besides =
> coding on my own, I would like to become a member of the Debian =
> community and help work on projects that you currently work on.  I would =
> like to contribute.  Please let me know how I can join Debian.

Welcome, Wally.  Congratulations, you just joined Debian. ;-)  Further
actions that you can do w/o having to jump through hoops:

  * Join Debian email lists and contribute to the discussions
  * Visit http://bugs.debian.org/<packagename> and start sending in
    patches to fix bugs.  Hit the more important ones first and work
    your way down.
  * Visit http://qa.debian.org and contribute to the TODO list
  * Meet with some of the Debian Developers in your area and exchange
    OpenPGP keys (GnuPG).

Of course, if you really want to, you could adopt an orphaned package or
a requested (but as of yet unpackaged) software item.  For some reason,
people think that to "join" Debian, you must be a developer and you must
maintain a package.  This simply isn't true.

Personally, I became a developer because no one was maintaining a
package I used on a regular basis, pnm2ppa.  I am not the most active
developer, but I'm certainly active advocate -- pushing Debian on to as
many systems as possible. ;-)  You'll find yourself contributing to
Debian more often when projects or packages interest you personally or
professionally.  Remember that over time, a collection of small patches
can add up to a large contribution.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/