Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> The fact is, we have no aim whatsoever, and that's why we end up trying
> to be everything to everybody.  IMHO, we don't do a very good job of it.

You're right and you've laid out the problem very neatly, but what is
the solution, and how did we get into this mess?

We used to have at least the common goal that Debian would be the best
quality free operating system. The fatal flaw of that idea seems to have
been that it didn't define the scope of the OS. At some point in the
past 5 years, we have lost site of that goal with an avalanch of
newcomers who, it seems, just care about their own package and not
Debian as a whole, and with an avalanch of users pulling us in many
directions.

An answer may be subprojects, like the Debian desktop project, so the
project as a whole does not have to make any decisions. But I have my
doubts that we can survive without making hard decisions. I hope someone
has better ideas, as right now we seem to just be coasting.

--
see shy jo