Re: Missing or incorrect section in packages

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Policy is actually fairly clear about it in secrion 2.1.7:
>     The section and subsection for each package should be specified in
>     the package's `Section' control record. However, the maintainer of
>     the Debian archive may override this selection to ensure the
>     consistency of the Debian distribution.

In that case we should better fix Policy appendix D.2.9, which said

"These fields may appear in binary package control files, ..."

Also it may be nice to update the man pages of deb-control and
dpkg-scanpackages while we are at it, even though we all know Policy
always takes precedence over other pieces of information.

--
Chuan-kai Lin
http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/