Re: mICQ roundup

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 05:10:33PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 10:38:34PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > 1. the action as taken by Rüdiger;
> > 2. expressing remorse for 1 or lack thereof; and
> > 3. implementing harmful code (i.e. involving harm outside the
> > not-functioning of the package itself; also note that in this case a
> > solution was presented immediately by the message).
>
> > True, but that doesn't change the fact that 1, 2, and 3 above have
> > /very/ little to do with each other, and that 1 and 2 have no predictive
> > value for the likeliness of 3, especially because I consider that in a
> > completely different league.
>
> I think this is where the groups disagree.  I believe #1 leads to #3,
> particularly in people failing #2.

Again, I think that someone who stole a candy has hardly any increased
likelyhood of armed bankrobbery. And that is how far apart I see a
message and a non-functional package with a given solution, from any
code that calls unlink(2) in some unexpected way.

> This is probably one of those fundamental opinions based on varying
> personal experience, that's not likely to change very much, so it's
> probably not worthwhile to debate it.

Indeed, let's drop this; however, even if we'd be certain that the
/likelyhood/ increases, we cannot base any punishment on that, unless
you fully subscribe to the idea of pre-emptive action.

Needless to say, I don't. You cannot convict someone of acts he hasn't
committed, and that's rule #1 of civilised jurisdiction, IMHO.

> Do we agree, at least, that #1 combined with #2 indicates that it's very
> likely that he would be willing to repeat #1 in some form?  Whether or
> not it leads to #3, I don't think people who are willing to put obfuscated
> time-bombs in their code should have their code in Debian.

Fully agree there. I'd say the exclusion from Debian should have a time
limit though.

Cheers,

Emile.

--