Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:03:04AM -0500, John Swanson wrote:
That aside I say it is his software he can do what ever he wants to it.

Agreed. And this is our project and we can do whatever we want with it.
If there's a person who does irresponsible things to a particular piece
of software we can decide that person's software shouldn't be included
in our project. See, everyone is acting within his rights, so I guess
there's nothing to dispute.

He had issues with the package that he was unable to work out with the
maintainer

So he did something stupid rather than go through a reasonable channel.
That's his choice. I find it incredible that you defend that rather than
the position that he should have tried something more responsible. He
obviously knew about the existence of debian-devel and easily could
have known of the procedures in place in the project to deal with badly
maintained packages. He made his choice not to follow that avenue.

We need to focus less on what he did

You're the one bringing up what he did and trying to defend it. He
followed a bad course. Period. Move on.

and more on the breakdown of communication between upstream, the
maintainer, and Debian as a whole,

If you want to figure out why Martin didn't maintain the package better
and why his sponsors didn't check the package better, great. But don't
confuse that with Ruediger's mistake.

Mike Stone