Re: [desktop] menu organiztion [was: Re: Menu location for CD-R software?]

Hi,

--- Graham Wilson <bob@decoy.wox.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 05:33:03PM -0800, Matt Bonner wrote:
> > Ulrich Eckhardt <uli@doommachine.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > > So far, KDE lacks entries for xcdroast and cdrtoaster, which are
> > > afaik both non-KDE apps. Their lack is thus not a big surprise and
> > > one could even argue if they should have these entries.
> >
> > I think you're right from a KDE perspective, but if the collective "we"
> > want to get serious about the desktop, this kind of silliness has to go
> > away.  Could Debian make the decision to use only a Debian menu system
> > and force all KDE applications into that structure?  I seem to recall
> > this was the direction RedHat went with 8.0, no?
>
> there was some discussion about the debian menu system and cooperation
> with other lately on the -gtk-gnome list. you might want to check the
> archives for it if you are interested.
>
> i think that the desktop subproject will eventually pick up the topic
> of consistent menu organization as it moves along.
> --
> gram

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try to go check out the GNOME response, but
in any case, I hope the desktop people take this sort of thing more
seriously.  This is another good example of how Linux could easily do
better than Windows.  Many office professionals have start menus so
long they wrap into a second column, making it a chore to find any
program.  Surely we can do better with a little thought up front.

thanks,
Matt