Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:38:53AM +0100, Roland Mas wrote:
> No skin off cnn.com's nose maybe, but Debian as a project certainly
> suffers a loss in reputation, like CNN does when they are attacked
> with a DOS trojan.  The loss may be judged as more or less important
> for the end user (maybe even *by* the end user), but the loss for
> Debian is undoubtedly real.

If you see loss for the debian project, it should have been prevented by
the debian maintainer, not by the upstream author.

If you see loss for the debian project, then there was a lesson to
learn.

I wonder if the lessen was learned, and if the consequences are the
right ones. I do wonder as *user* of debian - so what are the consequences?

What loss will it be for the *users* if micq is removed from debian just
because upstream and maintainer were both too stubborn to lower their
ego for a little while and instead focus on users need?

What loss will it be if debian needs to face that it has Processes to
ensure a certain Q&A, however one of the Maintainers wasnt really able
to act on himself to ensure highest quality and a good relation to
upstream? He obviously wasnt even able to ask more experienced people
before the "Harm" was done.

What loss will it be if debian needs to face that it is unable to take
consequences but instead just refuses to cooperate? (i.e. remove a
program with the silly argumentation that it was trojaned by the
author).

Some of the Questions are not anymore related to the Posting i answer
to; so Roland, please dont feel offended and dont feel i put words in
your mouth, these are general questions to d-d from attitudes i seen in
postings here.

	-rg