Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:46:30AM +0100, guenter geiger wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> > We have currently 5 well-known sub-projects, debian-multimedia could be a
> > new one, but you must define many things to clarify what's a multimedia project.
> > I see only woody-related stuffi there. This is a non-sense. We cannot
> > work on stable, too many things are now different among woody and sid.
> > Packaging needs to be done on sid. A meta-package could be ideal.
>
> I do not see an easy way to release a distribution based on sid with
> the deadlines we have to stick to.
> The fact that the Demudi woody branch is the most complete reflect
> this situation. (which doesn't mean that the packages do not compile
> or run on sid)
>
> Debian is incredibly slow with its releases, we all know that.
> The users we (demudi) have only care about the applications they get and
> the stability of the system. They don't give a damn which compiler
> was used to build it.

Ah sure, deadlines and free collaborative softwares live on different
worlds. This is a fact. None knows now when next stable kernel 2.6.0
will be available. None can know this for any other large project.
The only answer to this dilemma is branching.
Stable and unstable versions should be developed together.
So, double the efforts. Simple to say, hard to do, I know.

I could suggest you to ask DDs to support unstable releases;
you and demudi folks have to follow the stable branch instead
and work as a woody-related Demudi release manager, and also cohordinate
unstable ports. Some DDs could also help for woody backports, but
don't ask all to work on a frozen release. This is the only way
to normalize in respect with Debian path. This is what's done
for kernel. Work on unstable and backports.

> Demudi has the same problems with Debian like everyone trying to build
> a user friendly distribution based on Debian had up to now.

Knoppix and other did this, sure. But they are another Project.
The key point, again is: should debian-multimedia be a sub-project or
another one? If you want live in a Debian world, you have to adopt
its way of life. That's all.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine