Re: RFC: OpenLDAP build problems

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 06:34:03PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> The Debian libtool package isn't being used here.  Ours has the
> following code (yes, it's a fix not in the upstream)

Hmmm... Strange, as the person who reported bug 98342,
I hadn't realized it has been fixed.

I assume this is bug #98342???

> > b) Why the heck does it try to relink libldap at all?
> >
> Short answer: libtool 1,4 has issues with DESTDIR.
>
> We have patches to help, libtool 1.5 appears to fix all the problems but
> introduces a whole new additional world of pain[0].

At one point in time it was because libtool wanted the compiled
executable in the source tree to work. It did this by adding a -rpath to
use the compiled version of the library in the source directory.

However, it obviously isn't good to install a binary on the computer
with an -rpath that points to the source directory tree. So libtool
would relink it with no -rpath on the install phase.

You could argue this is a waste of CPU resources, as the binary in the
source tree is just going to get discarded (especially on autobuilders),
however, it wasn't my descision, I am not a libtool maintainer.

(disclaimer: I might be wrong here; my understanding based on my trials
only).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>