Re: RFC: OpenLDAP build problems

Hi Scott,

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 06:34:03PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > I'd like to file a bug that it should return with a failure return code
> > so that the caller notices that something has gone wrong.
> >
> libtool, like it's Autoconf and Automake friends, is something that you
> include in your source distribution, rather than rely on it being
> installed on the developer's machine.

Yes, I know.

> The included file is "ltmain.sh", which you'll find in OpenLDAP's
> "build" sub-directory.

ack

> The Debian libtool package isn't being used here.  Ours has the
> following code (yes, it's a fix not in the upstream)
>
> 	$echo "$modename: warning: relinking \`$file'" 1>&2
> 	$show "$relink_command"
> 	if $run eval "$relink_command"; then :
> 	else
> 	  $echo "$modename: error: relink \`$file' with the above command before installing it" 1>&2
> !!	  exit 1
> 	fi

Good to know. The ltmain.sh in OpenLDAP has this:

$ grep ^VERSION build/ltmain.sh
VERSION=1.4.3-OpenLDAP

As I do not know what they have changed I did not want to rerun libtool
over this. Perhaps I should have tried ;)

> > b) Why the heck does it try to relink libldap at all?
> >
> Short answer: libtool 1,4 has issues with DESTDIR.

Obviously.

> We have patches to help, libtool 1.5 appears to fix all the problems but
> introduces a whole new additional world of pain[0].

Thanks for the pointer. Interesting stuff. I am in favour of "solution"
2.

> > c) The next bug: liblber is not yet installed at that time. Why on earth
> > does libtool rely on liblber being in /usr/lib at that time? That
> > library is about to be relinked with the next command and that fails
> > because libldap is not found.
> >
> See above answer.

I just wonder why it tries to relink. That would mostly make sense with
this rpath feature and I don't think we are using it. Anyway, I am not
an libtool expert. I read autoconf, automake and libtool documentation
and it really motivated me not to get to close to these tools...

Greetings

	Torsten