Re: RFC: OpenLDAP build problems

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:37:50 +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llber
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> libtool: install: error: relink `libldap.la' with the above command before installing it
> libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'
>
> I really have no idea what to do about this bug apart from

Replace the two "ltmain.sh" files in your source tree with copies of the
/usr/share/libtool/ one.

> Perhaps I am dumb so I ask for comments about this:
>
> a) In my eyes libtool has a glaring bug here. It is called as replacement
> for install, fails to install anything and returns a success return code
> anyway (the build continues after that error...).

Indeed.

> I'd like to file a bug that it should return with a failure return code so
> that the caller notices that something has gone wrong.

You'll need to check if the bug still exists with an ltmain.sh generated by
the Debian package. What you are using so far is "a" ltmain.sh generated on
an upstream developer's system, not one that's generated by the Debian
libtool package.

> c) The next bug: liblber is not yet installed at that time. Why on earth
> does libtool rely on liblber being in /usr/lib at that time?

libtool used to have issues dealing with inter-library dependencies. The
Debian package was specifically patched to deal with those properly, but
that patch may not have propagated into the general community much so far.

HTH,
Ray
--
Friends don't send friends HTML email
	Declan McCullagh on the "features" of Javascript in email,