Re: Freeze Please?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:57:00AM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 07:48:15AM +0000, Paul Hedderly wrote:
>  > What is not working, is your understanding of what testing is! [...]
>  As far as the theory goes, "'testing' is an automated way of keeping a
>  suite [...] in an essentially releasable state".

No. 'testing' is intended to permanently be almost releasable. The scripts
and changes to the archive are meant to make this possible, but it's
up to maintainers to actually do it -- by providing security updates,
fixing broken packages in unstable, building CDs, and the installer,
doing test installs and upgrades, and so forth.

I'm sorry if you've somehow gotten the impression that the testing scripts
are a magic silver bullet that'll make it possible to have excellent
reliable software just appear without any effort. They're not. They're
intended to make it possible to spread that effort over a longer time
period; if we then go and choose not to do that, we're right back where
we started.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''