Re: /etc/network/interfaces & point-to-point ethernet & broadcast address

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:27:57AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> I have been looking at the "ip address" command.
>
> It appears to be the new (and cleaner) way to add addresses to network
> devices (previously known as aliases).

Yes.  In fact, David Miller, one of the Linux network stack hackers, has
been quoted as saying that ifconfig and route are deprecated and that ip
is the way of the future.  I know that people have suggested on this
mailing list in the past that we ditch ifconfig and route in place of
it, but that suggestion was shot down because people are too used to
using the old commands.  I wonder if we could do something to transition
to ip as the default interface/route manipulation tool.  Perhaps wrapper
scripts?  That was the suggestion by Dave Miller.

> Having to allocate a /31 or /30 subnet in this case, in order
> to have distinct network and broadcast addresses seems very
> wasteful, as they simply are not required.

I don't have any point-to-point connections, so I can't give you much
help here...

noah