Re: /etc/network/interfaces & point-to-point ethernet & broadcast address

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 13:51, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:27:57AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > I have been looking at the "ip address" command.
> >
> > It appears to be the new (and cleaner) way to add addresses to network
> > devices (previously known as aliases).
>
> Yes.  In fact, David Miller, one of the Linux network stack hackers,

(he is even the networking subsystem kernel maintainer)

 has
> been quoted as saying that ifconfig and route are deprecated and that ip
> is the way of the future.  I know that people have suggested on this
> mailing list in the past that we ditch ifconfig and route in place of
> it, but that suggestion was shot down because people are too used to
> using the old commands.  I wonder if we could do something to transition
> to ip as the default interface/route manipulation tool.  Perhaps wrapper
> scripts?  That was the suggestion by Dave Miller.

This is definitively the right tool to manage the linux kernel. ifconfig
and route use the standard ioctl based interface (the ifreq thingies)
which is common to most unices. The new interface is callsed netlink and
is havlily used by all the new stack features to communicate between
kernel and user space (routes, interfaces, ipsec in 2.5 etc..etc..) It
supports all the nice and fancy features supported by the stack.