Re: testing, unstable, and dependencies

#include <hallo.h>
Marcelo E. Magallon wrote on Thu Feb 06, 2003 um 01:34:32PM:

>  > This could be handled with conditional dependencies, see the old wishlist
>  > bug against dpkg in the BTS.
>  >
>  > Build-Depends: libfoo-dev (>>3)
>  > Build-Depends-Cond: unstable -> libfoo-dev (>>4)
>
>  So, now, I, the maintainer, have to care about getting the build
>  dependencies right for unstable *and* testing *and* stable.  Sounds error
>  prone to me.

That does already happen in every transition. And I would not mind failing
FTBFS bug reports if some package does not build in Testing/Stable because of
insufficient Build-Dependencies.

>  Besides that, what happens when unstable becomes stable?  Do you want
>  me to make an upload to stable to update the build dependencies?

Yes.

>  And what about this:
>
>     Build-Depends: libfoo-dev (>> 3), libbar-dev
>     Build-Depends-Cond: unstable -> libfoo-dev (>> 4)
>
>     Package: libbar-dev
>     Depends: libfoo-dev (>> 4)
>  What if there's no libbar-dev that works with libfoo-dev?  Remember
>  that one of Gunter's points was that upstream software adapts itself

Than the package is not ready for testing, does not match the conditions
Gunthem described and is not ready for testing (or whatever the name of a such
branch should be, I still prefer buxy's "Debian-Working").

>  I'm not shooting the idea down, I'm just saying it's not as
>  straighforward to implement as it might seem.

Sure, I do not claim this to be easy, but it may be the way to go.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.