Re: testing, unstable, and dependencies

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 11:14:07AM +0100, guenter geiger wrote:

 > But generally it would be better attacked if developers would care
 > for flexibility. Packages should at least be compilable on testing
 > and unstable whenever possible. I see tendencies going in the other
 > direction, and I consider this as really bad.

 Build-Depends: foo (>> 4)

 And testing has foo 3.

 I guess you are talking about things like debhelper...  funny, me too.

 Are you proposing that developers should hold back/wait until the
 version with the required features hits testing?  I see only limited
 benefits...

 Packages in testing should be buildable with stuff in testing, but I
 don't think that's what you meant.

 -m.

 PS: Yes, I know, there is a debhelper (>> 4) in testing.  That's not
     the point.