Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

> I'm sure you know what I mean:  at leat, a proper dependency graph,
> names for things (both `system states' and services), and no symlink

Not exactly.  What do you mean?

I've spent the last 7 or 8 years doing administration on Solaris,
Irix, Debian, RedHat, Windows (don't get me started on this one),
FreeBSD ... and so far the Debian sysvinit is the one that seems to
make the most sense to me.  Debian's symlinks sure beat the heck out
of the way Solaris used to do it, which was to have a copies of the
files instead of symlinks.

My boxes don't change runlevels a lot.  Do yours?  If I don't want to
run xdm, I 'dpkg --remove' it.  update-rc.d does a nice job of
preserving any changes I make (even if I don't use it to make them),
is easily scriptable ... hacking inittab to change system runlevels
seems much fuglier in comparison.

The dependency thing is, IMHO, one of those things that sounds great
at first but is isn't worth the trouble it would take to maintain.
sysvinit gives you a way to manage dependencies -- just number things
right!  It's a bit crude, but MUCH less pain than trying to define
"networking" ... does that mean that the physical interfaces are up or
that IPSec has finished negotiating SAs and Zebra's bgp sessions are
up?

--
					thanks,

					Will