Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

"Noah L. Meyerhans" <noahm@debian.org> writes:
> Either we should make use of our runlevels by default or we should ditch
> them by moving to file-rc or the BSD init system by default, leaving
> sysvinit as an option to those who care to define runlevels.

I wish debian would switch to something a bit more modern and less
bizarre than the sysv init (but more featureful than the traditional BSD
one).

I'm sure you know what I mean:  at leat, a proper dependency graph,
names for things (both `system states' and services), and no symlink
mazes.  Anyone who thinks about it for more than 5 minutes (which the
sysv people apparently neglected to do) can probably come up with a
decent design.

Isn't the modern net/freeBSD system something like this?  I vaguely
recall hearing that they had revamped their init system in a good way,
but really don't know any details (hmm, I also think I heard about
gentoo having something too).

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'