Re: C++ transition stumbling blocks?

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 01:58, Miles Bader wrote:

> Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> writes:
> > I've been thinking about trying to package libtool CVS up for Debian,
> > possible as an alternate package, simply because it fixes just about
> > every bug and problem I know about!
>
> Can you tell it to not use/produce shared libraries at all (e.g., just
> use traditional static libraries)?  I thought libtool was supposed to be
> able to do this, but the last time I tried I couldn't get it to (and the
> libtool script itself was so incredibly, absurdly, convoluted and
> unreadable, that I really couldn't figure out why).

libtool gcc -g -o libhello.la foo.lo hello.lo -lm \
	-rpath /usr/local/lib -static

The "-static" bit being the bit you're after.

If you're using libtool from within automake:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libhello.la
libhello_la_LDFLAGS = -static

> For that matter, the biggest problem with libtool I think is that it is
> (or at least was) so hard to understand.

There's not really that much to understand, the only reason it's
convoluted is that it does the same job a thousand different ways, for a
thousand different platforms.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant     Have you ever, ever felt like this?  Had strange
http://netsplit.com/      things happen?  Are you going round the twist?