Re: Just the usual rant: Debian VS legal problems (MPlayer, xine, libavcodec)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:17:50AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Debian developers should be bound by the laws of their own country, not
> the laws of some far off land.
>
> Currentlu debian gives more support to non-free software than it does
> non-US, im embarrased of debians cowardice on this issue.

From http://www.spi-inc.org/about:

	SPI was incorporated as a non-profit organization on June 16,
	1997 in the state of New York. Since then, it has become an
	umbrella organization for projects from the community.

Software in the Public Interest happens to own our assets for legal
reasons. Branden, would you like to elaborate on this? Anyway, getting
back to the point, corporations can get to us by suing SPI if we
distribute copyright/law infringing software.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

* Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau              Computer Science & Student Rep, UNSW *
*   # apt-get into it                 Debian GNU/Linux Package Maintainer *
*     <netsnipe(+)debianplanet.org\0>      <alau(+)cse.unsw.edu.au\0>     *
* GnuPG 1024D/2E8B68BD 0B77 73D0 4F3B F286 63F1  9F4A 9B24 C07D 2E8B 68BD *