howto not mix libraries

I am wondering (I guess no) if there is a way to avoid a situation like
this:

libgphoto2 uses libexif
gphoto2 uses libexif

I just upgraded libexif. The new version has a new soname (thus the
package names is libexif8).

Before uploading the new libgphoto2, I wait to see all autobuild of
libexif successful. But built doesn't mean installed.
I have uploaded libgphoto2 and can see that on some archs it was built
against libexif7.

libgphoto2 doesn't need libexif8 (7 is enough) but now when I will
upload the gphoto2 package, It will certainly be built against libexif8.

Now if this happens (libgphoto2 linked against libexif7 and gphoto2
linked against libexif8), I guess the result will be a segfault.

So to avoid this situation I could use a libexif versionned build-depend
on both libgphoto2 and gphoto2 but that sounds a bit wrong to me.

Is there a better solution?

Christophe

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
--Ellen Perry Berkeley