Re: Open Source Games and Cheating - a paradoxum?

Hi,

Am Die, 2003-01-21 um 18.44 schrieb Robert Lemmen:
> the point that you gave in your post (the necessity of closed source to
> avoid cheating) is wrong in my opinion however, because not releasing
> source for a software might make it more difficult to understand and
> modify a software, but not at all impossible.
[snip]

I guess I wasn't exact enough: My point definatly is PRO open source, I
just wanted to introduce the problem and the current situation to the
non-gamers.

>  and, as far as i can see, there is no crypto or
> any other solution that will help you there, it's simply a black-box
> problem:
[snip]

This is what I thought when I read the introduction to Public Key or No
Key Cryptography. Actually security is impossible, only that no computer
is currently fast enough to break it. This is thought as a analogy: It
might seem impossible, but maybe a genious in here finds a viable
solution.

> a more interesting point is that the quality of a game has many
> dimensions. while games like tetris and pong obviously must have some
> special qualities, most probably that it's just a good concept, there
> are other qualities like eye-candy and being brand-new as well. while
> the first kind of qualities fits into the open-source development model
> very well, the second don't in my opinion. this might be the reason why
> we have a lot of very good free games, but of a different kind than the
> closed-source world has.

I disagree here. www.parsec.org is a great non-commercial game with
really good eyecandy. They are closed source not only because of the
cheating problem...

> a completely different question is whether debian would be able to
> handle the kind of games the closed-source world has. there is for
> example an rfp for uqm (Ur Quan Masters), a star control clone. the
> legal problems aside, if we pack it the usual debian way (perhaps a game
> package and one for the arch-independent data) it would add 200 megs to
> the debian archive. if we do this with every game, our archive will very
> soon have a completely unmanageable size.

My prognosis was set in the fairly far future when linux will be a
common platform to work on. I guess a lot of details will change until
then, and I was thinking more generally. Right now, of course, packages
of >100MByte should be avoided :-)

Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner