Re: Open Source Games and Cheating - a paradoxum?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:03, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> As for the people offering real $$$ prizes: open source clients even the
> chances out - not only those with deep assembler/debugger skills can
> cheat, but ordinary humans (programmers), too. So, it should make too
> big a difference...

You could always make coding part of the game.  Remember core-wars and
C-robots?

For real-time strategy games there's a lot of potential for computer assisted
play.  If I had a lot of spare time I'd write an agent for "craft" and
challenge any other player (human or computer) to a duel.

> A trend to held the really big$$$ tournaments in a central location,
> with people actually meeting face to face, would be most welcome, I
> guess. Then, at those events, the environment is easily controlled and
> everybody has the unmodified versions.

Of course there's still ways of cheating.

In PowerMonger (ancient DOS game) when playing over a serial cable you could
cause all machines to crash by a certain sequence of mouse actions.  If the
game crashes then you haven't lost...  ;)