Re: Bloat: XML, GUI design (was: Re: [OT] Gnome configuration (was: Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]))

Em 20 Jan 2003 15:43:11 -0500, Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> escreveu:

> On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 12:55, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:06:28PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > That parser isn't technically XML; they call it GMarkup.  It's extremely
> > > close though...I think the only differences are that GMarkup only
> > > supports UTF-8 encoding, and only supports certain entity escapes.
> >
> > Would this be inadequate for fontconfig's config file? Does fontconfig
> > need complete xml with namespaces and dtds and schemas and character
> > encodings just to store its preferences?
>
> Probably not.  I think it would rock if fontconfig used glib, but given
> that fontconfig is part of XFree86, I do not see it as very likely at
> this point; glib is LGPL and XFree is X-licensed, so...

hmmm.... I don't think they're incompatible. libxml2 is also LGPL,
so... LGPL allows you to link to a proprietary program, even. I
can't see how that would disallow X-licensed stuff to use glib.

> Changing it to use libxmltok directly might be both politically and
> technically possible.  Personally though, my laptop has 1G of RAM; 700k
> is less than one tenth of a percent of that.  In other words, I'm not
> going to waste my time on it :)

I don't care either... I did not use X on my 486 days (and that's
quite recent), I do not care to have 700k on my laptop which has
128MB of RAM.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>