Re: Bloat: XML, GUI design (was: Re: [OT] Gnome configuration (was: Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]))

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 12:51:40AM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Colin Walters [Fri, Jan 17 2003, 12:45:14PM]:
>
> > > Indeed.
> >
> > In case it wasn't clear, I meant I thought the result (no antialiasing)
> > looked butt-ugly, not the XML.
>
> XML for this purpose is ugly as well. You can use XML for seldomly used
> applications, but not for such important things. Hell, compare "set
> antialias=1" with the monster we are talking about - 8..9 times of the
> code size. It is already to much for a single boolean value. Where
> should all this end? In a 10Ghz machine with DDR5000 RAM, using 90% of
> the CPU time to parse the useless metadata?

Tell me about it! With fontconfig abusing xml in this way every Xft
app has to link to libxml2. What a waste of memory. If not for
fontconfig I would never have libxml* in memory, and it's a big
library. fontconfig would be much better served by a smaller custom
parser that isnt 750k.