Re: trying to build/run sawfish 1.2 from debian/unstable

Thank you for your help.

The problem is that configure is being passed a host type that is
taken from the environment variable DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE, which is
apparently not set anywhere during the build process.  Since I did not
know about this variable it was not set on my system.  Eventually this
argument is used to set the host_type variable in Makefile.in which is
passed to the build-info script.  When it is not set, the resulting
command line has a blank in this argument position, which results in
all the trailing arguments being moved up one in the numeric argument
list.  Thus when build-info generates build.h, all the directory
arguments are shifted up by one.

When I used bash DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=i386; export DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
everything went fine (I do not know why the HOST_TYPE came out
"i386-pc-none").  I don't know what this variable should be set to but
clearly having it set to something is more important than what it is
set to.

I do not know if this should be fixed in the build script or if it is
just a common bit of knowledge that should be documented.

Adam