Re: multiple copies printing problem

Hi Andrew,
thanks for your answer.

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:54:10 +1100
Andrew Lau <netsnipe@debianplanet.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:05:28PM +0100, Vera Friederichs wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have problems with the behaviour of lpr (woody). When I try to
> > print something, the system sends (sometimes) an email, that the job
> > could not be printed, but it is printed up to five times.
>
> Check your printer's compatibility with the list at
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/

It says: works partially
The rating "Partially" is given due to the Omni code still being under development and not supporting all features of the supported printer models.

But we have used it now for months under Suse linux and netatalk without any problems.

> It sounds like lpr isn't communicating
> with your printer properly, perhaps you're using the wrong filter?

I have used the filters supplied by netatalk.

> Check the website and you could always try a different printing system
> such as CUPS.

I tried to read something about CUPS, but I did not fully understand it. Do I need a printserver
for CUPS? And does the printer need an IP-adress? We do not have a unix-webserver until know and
adress the printer via atalk, because we have an applenet but only a few linux machines as
personal computers, not as servers. And if possible, we do not want to set up servers.

> You were asking on the wrong list anyway. debian-user is where you
> should be posting.

In
http://www.faqchest.com/linux/ATALK/linux-00/linux-0008/linux-000804/linux00081117_24803.html
they mentioned a possible bug in lpd and therfor I thought, that devel could be appropriate. Sorry,
if that is wrong.

Yours sincerely,
Vera Friederichs