Re: Bloat: XML, GUI design (was: Re: [OT] Gnome configuration (was: Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]))

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 23:58, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> tomas pospisek <tpo2@sourcepole.ch> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> >
> >> Fine. And do you really think, XML is perfectly human readable for
> >> manual editing? I doubt. And if it is not meant for manual editing, what
> >> is the point of making such bloat around of few values?
> >
> > I do not want to comment your other points (I very well _may_ agree). XML
> > _is_ easy to edit, it just takes the right editor, that hides the <""=>
> > eye-brain-flow-distruptors away and visualizes the tree structure. That
> > means no ascii editor.
> > *t
>
>   XML is definitely for interoperability between applications.

Yes, but I think the point is, we have no interop issue here: it's just
one system (gnome) storing its preferences. No other application will
ever need to read that. So, the big benefits of xml are not really used.

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured product: Debian GNU/Linux - http://debian.org