Re: Bloat: XML, GUI design (was: Re: [OT] Gnome configuration (was: Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]))

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 18:51, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> XML for this purpose is ugly as well.

Blah blah blah.

> You can use XML for seldomly used
> applications, but not for such important things. Hell, compare "set
> antialias=1" with the monster we are talking about

Of course, the configuration file is more complex that just setting a
boolean value or two.  You can match font names and do different stuff
depending on conditional values, specify blank characters, multiply
fonts by matricies, and other stuff I probably don't know about.

> - 8..9 times of the
> code size. It is already to much for a single boolean value. Where
> should all this end? In a 10Ghz machine with DDR5000 RAM, using 90% of
> the CPU time to parse the useless metadata?

Your assertion is absurd, and you know it.

Using XML solves some real issues that happen in the real world, like
character set handling (one of MY pet peeves), representing highly
structured data (like the matrices above), allows automatic document
structure verification (see fonts.dtd), and has tons of standard tools
to manipulate it.  There are other ways to solve these problems,
sure...but the fontconfig author choose a perfectly sensible way to
solve them.

Frankly I am disappointed in you, Eduard; I thought you would be above
pointless ranting.