Re: [joke] Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

On 16.I.2003 at 13:49 Eduard Bloch wrote:

> _Which_ freeze day? My memory says, missing _reliable_ information about
> the freeze day interrupted the smooth work of boot-floppies team.

I enjoied myself remembering the hystory of freezing (from the
messages by Anthony Towns to debian-devel-announce).  We can see that
the freeze time of woody took 5 months: from December 2001 to April
2002.  This means that the prognosis of Anthony Towns on 1 Jul 2001
(see latter) can be realistic.

19 Dec 2000:

   If we choose to use boot-floppies, that would be a timeline
   something like:

         * Jan, Feb 2001: Get boot-floppies functional
         * Mar, Apr 2001: Get boot-floppies usable
         * May 2001: Freeze boot-floppies; Freeze stable
         * Jun 2001: Freeze optional; Release

16 Feb 2001:

   Short summary: It's about time we froze. Go help Adam with
   boot-floppies.

7 Apr 2001:

   In short: there hasn't been any, go help Adam and David with
   boot-floppies.

7 May 2001:

   Well, congratulations are in order to Santiago Garcia Mantinan
   <manty@debian.org> and the rest of the boot-floppies team:
   we've at last had a (relatively) successful install of a
   woody system!

4 Jun 2001:

   Well, we still haven't got a set of boot-floppies that are
   functional for i386 installs in the archive, so we're still not
   ready to freeze yet.

1 Jul 2001:

   Welcome to the woody freeze.

   For the next cycle (assuming this freeze actually turns out to be
   relatively short and controlled), I think it would be interesting
   to see if we can do the same thing again, with a short (2 or 3
   month) development cycle, for a 5 to 7 month release cycle.

7 Nov 2001:

   As of the weekend just past we've finally obtained the legal advice
   we needed to go about putting crypto in main.  As of today, policy
   is frozen.

   The freeze goals as of now are to make sure standard,
   boot-floppies, and debian-cd are releasable, and to fix up any
   remaining bugs in base.

   There are large numbers of non-RC bugs in base packages too, that
   should be being worked on over the next couple of weeks if
   possible.

29 Nov 2001:

   Over the next ten days the last changes to base packages will be
   accepted into woody.  Additionally, in the next few days,
   boot-floppies, standard, and tasks are expected to get into
   releaseable state (ie, no RC bugs). After December 9th, standard
   packages (or packages in tasks) which've been dropped from woody
   won't be reinstated.

28 Jan 2002:

   There is absolutely no magic that can be done to make a bunch of
   buggy useless software acceptable as a Debian release. To take the
   absolutely simplest example, we can't release with a glibc with
   well known security related bugs.

16 Feb 2002:

   The good news is that base is back in good shape.

22 Feb 2002:

   As promised, a bunch of packages that aren't in a fit state to be
   released (ie, have release-critical bugs) are being removed from
   woody.

6 Apr 2002:

   Debian 3.0 (codenamed woody) will release on May 1st, 2002.
   Actually, as always, it'll release when it's ready.

30 Apr 2002:

   Naturally, we will not be making the woody release until we have a
   viable mechanism for making timely security updates.

20 Jul 2002:

   ajt@auric:/org/ftp.debian.org/ftp/dists$ ls -l testing stable Debian3.0r0
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 troup    debadmin        5 Jul 19 14:41 Debian3.0r0 -> woody
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 troup    debadmin        5 Jul 19 14:40 stable -> woody
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 troup    debadmin        5 Jul 19 14:43 testing -> sarge

Anton Zinoviev