[joke] Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

> I therefore propose that we alter the scheme for release numbers as
> follows.

After Debian 3.0 we should have Debian 3.1 and Debian 3.11.  Then if
the release process happens to be not slower than the current, we will
be able to release Debian 2095 and Debian 2098.  At this point we will
be ready to begin the transition from Linux to Hurd and Debian 3000
will be Hurd based.  Finally we will remove the stable version of
Debian and sid will be renamed to Debian XP.  This will be the end of
the debates about the next release name.

Now more seriously: The release numbers depend on how frequently we
make new releases.  The current frequency makes numbers as 3.0 and 4.0
very appropriate.  On the other hand when the new installer will be
ready (and it is one wonderful project) hopefully nothing will prevent
us to release quickly 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc.

Anton Zinoviev