Re: Make debconf mandatory for prompting the user

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:51:53PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Adam Heath]
> > Ignored is understandable.  We are all volunteers.
> >
> > Which were refused?  'required feature' is not reason enough.
>
> I checked my bug reports and the bug database for Skolelinux.  Here is
> a summary of the ten packages we needed to convert to debconf.  We
> dropped postgresql, php4-pgsql, vold and gpm, and make our own patched
> php4 packages.

There's at least an 11th, base-passwd, although you won't have run
across it during installation. I'm still considering a sensible design
for supporting debconf there, as I think it would be a better idea in
general to move the prompting into update-passwd; something like the
$SSH_ASKPASS design is appealing.

Then again, update-passwd is prompting for something different each
time, not conveniently predictable in advance, and I'm not sure that it
would be sensible to preconfigure it. Advice appreciated.