Re: x86-64 port of debian/linux

* Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> [2003-01-08 20:24]:

* Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> [2003-01-08 11:22]:
> > Er, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but:
> > 	http://www.debian.org/ports/ia64/
> > Is this not what you're looking for?
>
> No.  ia64 is something that Debian actually has hardware for.
> x86-64 is not.

Indeed.  And I'd like to use this opportunity to extend my gratitude
to HP for their great support.  They truly know how to work with the
Debian community.  They have donated two HPPA and two IA-64 systems to
the project to help with the porting efforts.  Furthermore, they have
donated (at least) two powerful i386 systems which are now essential
to Debian's infrastructure (master hosting the Bug Tracking System and
our mail, gluck being our web and CVS server).  And not only do they
sponsor these machines, they also have several employees working on
making Debian an even better system.  Thanks!

I don't know if it's true what Marco says about AMD.  But in any case,
AMD and other companies should take a look at how HP works with (and
as part of) the Debian community.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com