Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Michael Stone wrote:

> No, we end of life them arbitrarily when we don't feel like working on
> them anymore.

The difference is our "we" is open-ended.  People can continue where Red
Hat left off but that work won't "be" Red Hat Linux.  They could
not even use the Red Hat name on CDs etc.  Whereas if you and I
lost interest in Debian for sparcs and some other bunch of people wanted
to take over, they could join the project <shot type="cheap">assuming they
got get through new maintainer</shot> and have all the privileges and
infrastructure that we do.

> I'm not sure that's a distinct advantage. (Or are you
> aware of any contractual obligation for debian to continue working on
> sparc and alpha in perpetuity?)

This is a straw man IMO.  An expectation of continuity doesn't require a
contract.  It's nice (Kind of.  Sometimes.) but not necessary.  The very
nature of Debian guarantees that the "vendor" csnnot throw its' weight
around.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>