Broken apt-get update

apt-get update is giving an odd error:

# apt-get update
[clip]
Hit ftp://mirror.direct.ca unstable/non-US/non-free Packages
Hit ftp://mirror.direct.ca unstable/non-US/non-free Release
Fetched 4473kB in 39s (113kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing id3ren (NewFileVer1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Any idea what's happened here? I'm running a mostly woody system with
a few sid packages. I recently upgraded to perl 5.8.0-14. I think
this may have caused my trouble. Has anyone else seen this? I'm using
apt 0.5.4.

Thanks,
Shaun