Re: /etc/passwd doesnt contain all users

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 02:37:55AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Yet another, "Excuse me?"  When would any sendmail files ever be
> shared?  That does not fit any workable model in my head.  Being local
> to the machine the local uid will override the NIS uid and everything
> works fine.  Or if adduser detects the NIS uid it won't add a local
> one and therefore you will get the NIS one.

Diskless NFS systems with no local harddisk, where all directories are
stored on a server.

No, I don't know if storing sendmail queues on NFS is a good idea, it
probably isn't; another package might be more appropriate.

No, the directories aren't "shared", but you don't want UIDs to
be different on the client and the server, not only could it create
security issues, but also cause much confusion too.

This also raises a number of other issues like "should postfix running
on the server really be able to access the spool directory of each of
NFS client?", but I don't want to get into that right now; SE-Linux
might be the complete answer, eg. only allow the NFS server process
access to these files on the server.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>