Re: /etc/passwd doesnt contain all users

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 11:02:38AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:36:19AM -0600, Matt Hope wrote:
> > A few packages that I've run across check /etc/passwd to see if a user
> > exists, and if not, creates them.
> >
> > This can be a problem in systems that use alternate authentication
> > schemes, such as NIS, or LDAP.
> >
> > Could any developers who do this please look at using an alternate
> > test, such as using /usr/bin/id, or /usr/bin/getent ?
>
> File bugs against these packages telling them to use getent.

I think base-passwd is an exception here - ids < 100 should be in the
local /etc/passwd, especially since there's no way for base-passwd to
sensibly change their fields when necessary otherwise. In other cases
(system users and groups), sure, getent is the way to go.