Re: A birthday message and a RFS for Film Gimp 0.13-1

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 02:27, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >  Note: Although this is more colours than can be displayed at once on
> >  a conventional 24-bit monitor (8-bit per component), 16-bit makes a
> >  difference when working with the higher dynamic range of film.
>
> Ranting aside, I think you mean a 24-bit display or 24-bit video card. A
> "24-bit monitor" doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it does for LCDs etc
> but for CRTs the colours are completely analogue I believe ie
> continuous.

Perhaps it is a reference to the professional monitors that have separate coax
cables for R, G, and B signals.

I've heard it claimed that a standard VGA cable can't transport a clear enough
signal to allow as many shades of one color as the eye can distinguish.
Apparently you need 48 bit color in the graphics card and separate coax
cables for the monitor to display things properly.

But as I've never had a problem with 16-bit color mode when playing DVDs I
guess I'm not qualified to test this theory...