Re: [Final comments]Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:30:25AM -0600, Hunter Peress wrote:
> >  It simply isn't bullshit.  I am using Debian on one 486 and some 586 on
> > my own, and I know that there are others.  Don't call facts bullshit.

> Actually, it does this argument no good to cite your particular
> situation. Next, my proposal is simply to get an i686 distro out there,
> and through this experimentation it should become obvious that it is in
> higher demand than i386. Again, there is NOTHING more to say on this end
> until tests have been done and actual distro/server is out there (more
> below...).

"Our priorities are our users" does not mean "We will jump to implement
whatever our users (who do not always understand software) perceive to be
a good idea without regard for the technical validity of it."  So yes,
please provide some solid benchmarks generated in a controlled
environment to show why it's worth optimizing a fair portion of our
software for i686.  Hard evidence is *always* welcome.

> Next (assuming positive results,(else: work stops here)):

> I will publicize them, thereby I will be able to find someone in the
> debian community with build experience to help me with the process of
> starting an i686 distro. (Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> seemed to start me
> off with some tips..., but I think that making it completely like
> another architecture is the way to go, instead of replacing the major
> packages within the i386 arch).

Please publicize the results ESPECIALLY if they are not positive, so we
might hope to put a quick end to these threads when they pop up in the
future.

Note that to justify a completely distinct architecture instead of
selective optimization of packages, your results would need to show a
significant performance *across the board*.  I'm dubious that this is
really what you'll find.

> Beyond: Enjoy the fruits of laber. Laugh at gentoo (or be scared of them
> (who knows what they'll be like at this point)).

Definitely a laugh.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer