Re: You have been removed from the following lists

Francesco Paolo Lovergine <frankie@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 12:34:28AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 06:01:08PM -0600, SmartList wrote:
> > > This message has been sent my the verp handler program, version 0.7.20.
> >
> > This is bullshit.  The MX for deadbeast.net has been up, reachable, and

It's worse than that. If it counts bounces of list messages without ever
sending an independent probe then it *WILL* remove people incorrectly
guaranteed.

Some sites will refuse messages that are viruses or spam. The verp handler
shouldn't trust bounces to messages composed by list members, if it thinks an
address is bogus it should send an independent controlled test to verify the
result. I know this technique works, I regularly get such probes from various
mailing lists because of the bounces mit's mailhubs cause when I receive
Microsoft Outlook viruses.

In any case I don't think even that's a good idea. The worst-case scenario if
you have a bouncing list member is it slows down list delivery slightly. The
worst-case scenario if you have a verp handling program removing people like
this is a whole lot of people are randomly unsubscribed when you have some
minor dns outage or routing borkage.

--
greg