Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:41:28PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:24:17AM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > 	* An icon, perhaps a flashing "!", to indicate that updates are
> > 	  available.
> Whatever you do, don't do the flashing. Flashing and animating draw
> far too much attention; effectively this puts psychological pressure on
> people to update immediately, as soon as there's a release.

You could do something similar to the way wmbiff behaves; if there is
new mail in a mailbox, it flashes three or four times then sits there
with the number of new messages displayed in a different color. I don't
find that annoying, and there is not a constant flashing on the desktop
that would, I agree, get rather annoying.

Chris Anderson, aeddan@myinternet.com.au
gpg fingerprint: BBCA 6DCE 7B07 D5B9 4EE1  8893 916B 47E1 7F57 4CB0