Re: Is Sid for broken stuff? Is it too much to ask for testing the packages?

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:17:53PM +0100, Siggy Brentrup scribbled:
[snip]

> > > is silly; the entire purpose of the '-f' option to rm is to ignore errors.
> > By the way: the reason I wrote the above in such a form is simple - it was
> > it is my habit to use -f in cases where I'm not sure whether the file
> > exists. And this is the kind of habit I'd like all the maintainers to
> > develop.
>
> I'd prefer you to drop that habit in this particular case, since when
> /path/to/file happens to denote a directory (sysadmin may have created
ok, how about this:

if [ -f /path/to/file ]; then
   rm /path/to/file || true
fi

does that sound satisfactory? If yes, then it would be good to advise
developers to write similar code.

> it), your script happily continues possibly doing further harm, while
> the second version (assuming -e) aborts.
Note that the above was not my script. This is getting ridiculous and quite
off topic. If you want to review my skills, you're welcome, but let's do the
tests off the list, or just take a look at my packages or at
http://caudium.net and the software available from there.

thanks,

marek